Oral Hygiene and Cleaning
It’s important to visit 21st Century Dental Centre for regular dental hygiene visits
You already know the importance of daily brushing and flossing, but there’s more to maintaining healthy teeth and gums. It’s very important to come into 21st Century Dental Centre for regular hygiene visits.
These appointments provide your teeth and gums with a thorough cleaning, inspection, and preventative maintenance. Our friendly dental hygienists will "scale" your teeth — removing tartar build-up — and polish the surface — removing minor stains. You may also receive a fluoride treatment to help fight decay.
But hygiene visits are about much more than just cleaning. They give us an opportunity for us to tell you if you are brushing and flossing correctly, and examine your teeth and gums for potential problems.
If your teeth require restorative work, it's important we find out as soon as possible in order to prevent the decay from spreading. It's also important to have your gums inspected, because periodontal disease (gum disease) can lead to serious health problems — including heart attacks.
Regular hygiene visits with the 21st Century Dental Centre team allow us to spot problems and take action immediately — preventing the issues from getting worse.
Contact 21st Century Dental Centre today to schedule a hygiene visit or learn more about our oral care program.
Watch the videos below to learn more about oral hygiene:
FAQs — Click question to reveal answer
- Q: How often should I have a hygiene visit?
- A: It is recommended that you visit us at least twice per year for a hygiene visit. This allows us to monitor the state of your teeth as gums, as well as provide a thorough cleaning.
- Q: Do adults need fluoride treatments?
A: Fluoride is one of the minerals that builds up the enamel of your teeth, keeping them strong and helping to prevent tooth decay. It is a natural element — found in meat, fish and eggs — and is often added to municipal water sources.
Children are given fluoride treatments to protect their still-developing teeth, but the treatments are beneficial to adult teeth, as well.
Talk to your hygienist at your next visit about the benefits of fluoride, and the different varieties available.
- Q: How many hygiene visits does my dental insurance cover per year?
- A: Insurance plans cover different numbers of annual visits – some only cover one, but many plans cover two visits. We would be happy to help you understand what your plan covers. Please ask us at your next appointment.